Alnmouth
Alnmouth
A lovely seaside village at the mouth of the Aln river, Alnmouth was once a busy port until a 19th century storm changed the course of the river. There may have been a settlement here as early as the 7th century, and Alnmouth has been suggested as the site of a synod in 684 to decide on a bishop for the diocese of Hexham. The Normans built a new town here, and a church dedicated to St. Waleric was erected on Church Hill.
This edifice fell into the sea as Church Hill gradually eroded by wind and water over the centuries. During the 18th century the village suffered a naval attack by Americans under John Paul Jones. In 1789 Rev J. Brand found a 9th century cross shaft in the ruins of the old church. This cross shaft is beautifully carved, and is the only Anglo-Saxon cross in England known to bear an Irish name.

Today the village is a a popular destination for holiday makers, due to its lovely coastal location, wide sandy beach, golf course, and proximity to Alnwick and the Northumberland coastal attractions.