Lindfield, West Sussex
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
The first mention of Lindfield was in 765 AD, when the Saxon King Ealdwulf granted land here for the construction of a Minster church. The manor was later held by the Archbishop of Canterbury. The town was granted a market charter and the right to hold two annual fairs by Edward III in 1343, and the Lindfield sheep fair became one of the most active in the county. Those bucolic pursuits wee later supplanted by smuggling.
On one famous occasion in 1782 over 300 horses carrying smuggled goods were led up Lindfield High Street. The smugglers are said to have built a network of tunnels near All Saints church, but if the tale is true, there are no signs of the tunnels to be seen today!
At the edge of the town is Eastern Road Nature Reserve, an important 9 acre reserve with wetland habitat for birds, insects, and butterflies. A few miles distant is Wakehurst Place, a National Trust property which houses the countryside collection of Kew Botanic Gardens.
Address: Lindfield, West Sussex, England
Attraction Type: Town
Location: 1 mile north of Haywards Heath, on the B2028
Photo Credit: nick macneill, licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Licence
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Historic Time Periods:
Find other attractions tagged with:
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Borde Hill Garden - 1.6 miles (Garden)
Cuckfield Museum - 2.9 miles (Museum)
Bluebell Railway - 3.6 miles (Family Attraction)
Priest House - 4.1 miles (Historic Building)
Sheffield Park - 4.2 miles (Garden)
High Beeches Gardens - 5.6 miles (Garden)
Nymans - 5.7 miles (Garden)
Saint Hill Manor - 6.5 miles (Historic House)
Nearest Accommodation to Lindfield:
Nearest Self Catering Cottages
Nearest Bed and Breakfasts