Lincoln's Inn Gatehouse
Lincoln's Inn Gatehouse
The oldest of three entrances to Lincoln's Inn courts of law. The gatehouse was built between 1517 and 1521 by Sir Thomas Lovell. Lovell got the contract in no small part because of his court connections; his father served as Chancellor to Henry VIII.
Lovell incorporated his own family coat of arms above the entrance arch, in addition to the arms of Henry VIII and the Earl of Lincoln. The large oaken doors were added later, in about 1564.

There are a small set of rooms above the gateway arch. These rooms are thought to be those occupied by Oliver Cromwell when he was a young law student here in 1617.

The gatehouse was rebuilt in 1966-69.