Clumber Park
Clumber Park
Clumber was an 18th century country house, the home of the Dukes of Newcastle. The park around the house was originally landscaped by Henry Fiennes-Clinton Pelham-Clinton from 1768-1788, with the possible assistance of Capability Brown. Pleasure grounds were added by 1860. The formal garden terrace near the house was removed in 1938 when the house was demolished, but the terraces were restored in 1974 to give Clumber Park something of the feel it would have enjoyed during its heyday.
Now Clumber Park offers over 3800 acres of park and garden landscape, with opportunities for recreation and relaxation in beautiful natural surroundings. Highlights of Clumber Park include:

Walled Kitchen Garden
A sheltered spot to enjoy floral displays, with a 400 foot long herbaceous border, heritage fruit trees, and a huge greenhouse stretching to 450 feet in length.

Chapel of St Mary
Completed in 1889, the chapel is topped by a spire 180 feet high. The architecture is a wonderful example of Victorian Gothic style.

The Lake
A completely man-made, this sinuous lake has paths along its banks, punctuated by an ornamental bridge. Over 200 specied of birds frequent the area, making walks around The Lake a great opportunity for bird-watching.

Pleasure Ground
An area of winding paths designed to provide an area for the family to walk in seclusion. The Pleasure Ground paths have recently ben restored, providing visitors an opportunity to walk in the footsteps of the Dukes and their families, through a landscape of exotic plants.

Limetree Avenue
This 3 mile long double avenue is over 170 years old. It is the longest such avenue in Europe, and was intended to impress visitors approaching Clumber.