The Old House
The Old House
One of the finest half-timbered buildings in Hereford, if not the country as a whole, the Old House dates to 1621. It was built to serve as a home and shop for a local butcher. It was in constant use until 1929, when it was converted to serve as a local museum focussed on life in Jacobean times.
Rooms on view include the kitchens, parlour, and dining all. The interiors are furnished with 17th century furniture and decoration, much of it in English Oak. There are a series of rare wall paintings on view, plus a period four-poster bed and an unusual 17th century baby-walker. One particular highlight is a wonderfully carved fireplace surround in the dining hall. Children will enjoy dressing up in Jacobean costumes, and playing historical replica puzzles. The Old House also hosts regular Jacobean Evening events throughout the year, with family activities and themed events centred on the Jacobean period.