Breinton, St Michael Church
Breinton, St Michael Church
The country church of St Michael at Breinton overlooks the River Wye just a few miles west of Hereford city centre. It gets quite a few visitors because it is located directly beside the popular Wye Valley Walk, which follows the course of the river. The poets Elgar was a frequent visitor to Breinton.
The first church here was built in the Norman period, but this was extensively restored in the Victorian period by FR Kempson of Hereford to produce the church we see today. The interior is largely Victorian, with a number of 18th and 19th century memorials. The church is composed of a nave, chancel, north aisle, and west spire with a ring of two bells. The parish register begins in 1625.