Guyhirn Chapel
Guyhirn Chapel
A small chapel of ease, built in 1660, and essentially unaltered since. The chapel represent a striking time-capsule of worship and architectural style in the era when Puritan ideals were strong.
Everything is simple, even austere; the glass is clear and uncoloured, the walls are uncluttered stone and brick, the pews narrow and uncomfortable looking. The pews are jammed together in an intentional effort to make kneeling impossible, as kneeling considered a Papist practice and thus to be avoided.

Quite why the chapel was built is unclear; it may have been intended for some form of Noncornformist group, but in 1662 it was annexed to St Mary's at Wisbech, some 4 miles distant, as a chapel of ease.

There is a society of Friends of Guyhirn Chapel of Ease, which once boasted poet John Betjeman as its President. In fact, Betjeman wrote a poem in praise of the little chapel.

Guyhirn Chapel is now in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. As of this writing the Trust suggests ringing to arrange access to the chapel interior. Please check the Trust website for current details.