Wolfhamcote, St Peter's Church
Wolfhamcote, St Peter's Church
The church of St Peter at Wolfhamcote stands surrounded by the earthwork remains of a deserted medieval village. The church is primarily a product of the 13th and 14th centuries.
This extensive building consists of a chancel, nave, north chapel, south porch, north and south aisles, and tower. The most interesting historical feature is the 14th century rood screen, with a cinquefoil traceried head. There are a total of 11 14th century benches, featuring several examples of rather rustic period carving.

Another highlight is the Hood mausoleum, a Victorian addition housing monuments to generations of the local Hood family. Among the Hood memorials is that of Samuel Tibbits Hood, Viscount Hood, who died in 1846. There is also a royal coat of arms to Queen Anne. The most interesting historic memorial is in the chancel, where there is a brass tablet to Thomas Benyon, (d. 1687).

The church is no longer used for regular worship and is in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.

NB. You will sometimes see the name of the village listed as Wolfhampcote with a 'p'.