Shipton Solers, St Mary's Church
Shipton Solers, St Mary's Church
A 13th century Cotswold church in a small hamlet, St Mary's retains some interesting medieval features despite a Victorian restoration. The village it was built to serve has shrunk over the years to little more than a hamlet. Due to changing settlement patterns St Mary's fell out of use, and for several years in the 19th century was used as a cow barn.
The church consists of a simple nave, chancel, and west bell turret. The door is medieval, and within the interior is a very simple, unadorned 15th century font and there are fragmentary remains of 15th century stained glass.

There are remnants of medieval wall painting above the chancel arch, and the pulpit is a Jacobean piece, in a traditional hourglass shape. There are a number of 17th and 18th century  monuments.

The church is no longer used for regular worship and is in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. NB. The name of the village is sometimes written as Shipton Sollars rather than Solers. The later is probably more historically accurate, as according to historical records the church was a gift of William de Solers in 1298.