Fridaythorpe, St Mary's Church
Fridaythorpe, St Mary's Church
Fridaythorpe is the highest village on the Yorkshire Wolds at 561 feet above sea level, and it stands at the mid way point of the Yorkshire Wolds Way National Trail. Tucked away a short distance from the wide village green is the ancient church of St Mary's. This is a 'Sykes Church', restored by C Hodgson Fowler for Sir Tatton Sykes II in 1902.
Fowler's alterations cannot hide the age of this simple church, which is largely 12th century. On a capital in the north arcade is an odd inscription reading 'this 713 found hear'.

The triptych is from Sykes's home of Sledmere House, and there is an elaborate Edwardian clock face in the squat tower. The stained glass windows date from 1910 and are probably by Burlison and Grylls (see Wetwang church). The chancel arch bears traditional Norman zigzag patterns and the column capitals are carved in simple Norman patterns.