Maclean's Cross
Maclean's Cross
A finely carved 15th century cross standing beside the ancient 'street of the dead' near Iona Abbey. The cross stands at the place where the processional path crosses a path leading from St Ronan’s Port, the current boat landing. The carving style is traditional of the 'Iona school' of carvers who were active here during the 15th century. Other carved grave slabs from the Iona school are stored in a small building beside the abbey.
The cross is over 3 metres high and is carved from a single solid block of stone. The design is of the type known as disc-head, with intricate foliage and plaitwork designs on both sides. There are animals carved on the east face, and a crucifixion on the west side.

On the foot of the cross shaft is an armed horseman who may be meant to represent the MacLean chief who paid for the cross to be carved around the year 1500.
 
The Maclean Cross is superbly preserved; in fact it is hard to think of another cross so well-preserved in Argyll, especially considering that it still stands exposed the elements.