Trinity House Maritime Museum
Trinity House Maritime Museum
Leith is the ancient port for Edinburgh, and has a long history of maritime trade. In the medieval period a charitable organisation called the Incorporation of Shipowners and Shipmasters was formed to look after retired or ill seamen and their familiies. In 1380 the Incorporation was granted the right to levy a toll, called prime gilt, on goods entering Leith. The Incorporation's established a hospital and administration centre at Trinity House, on Kirkgate, opposite the current South Leith church.
In 1816 a new building in elegant Georgian style was designed by Thomas Brown, to act as the new home of Trinity House. Within the house - in addition to a copious collection of maritime artefacts and historical documents - are wonderful period furniture. Objects on display include wartime sea charts, whaling harpoons, navigational instruments, and historic ship models. Also at Trinity House is the War Memorial Window, built by WJR Cook to the memory of the merchant sailors of Leith who lost their lives in the two World Wars.

In the basement are vaulted 16th century rooms that were once home to a school for young mariners. But the main interest at Trinity House is the Convening Room on the upper floor. This elegant chamber has an ornate plastered ceiling depicting maritime themes.

As of this writing visits are by booked tour only, except for Saturdays when no booking is required. Please do check with the Trinuty House website for curent details before visiting!