Llangadog (Castell Meurig)
Llangadog (Castell Meurig)
Castell Meurig is a Norman motte and bailey earthworks with a modern house in the centre. There is little visible of the fortifications beyond the castle mound.
Castell Meurig was originally thought to be a simple motte and bailey structure erected by Gilbert de Clare, the powerful Lord of Cardigan, or perhaps his son, the 1st Earl of Pembroke. However, recent investigation of the site suggests that the kings and princes of Ceredigion had a royal hall or llys at Llangadog from the 6th to the 9th century. Some of the castle earthworks are thought to be;ong to the llys enclosure.

We do not know exactly when the castle was built, but it must have been prior to 1203, when it was besieged during the English/Welsh conflicts of the early 12th century. There were further attacks on Llangadog in 1208 and 1209. Local tradition suggests that the farmhouse known as Glansawdde was built using stone scavenged from the castle ruins.