Llanegwad, St Edgwad Church
Llanegwad, St Edgwad Church
The church is the only remaining building on the site where several monasteries and religious cells once existed. The building was begun in the 10th-11th century, restored in the 19th century.
History
The church of St Egwad dates to at least the late 11th century, if not earlier. Local tradition suggests that there was an earlier chapel to the north of the current site. The chapel was converted into a private dwelling in the 18th century.

The medieval church was originally linked to the Deanery of Stradtowy but in 1215 it passed to Talley Abbey, and after the Dissolution of the Monasteries to the Bishop of St David.

The church was rebuilt in 1849 by John Harries of Llandeilo, reusing some of the earlier stones. The building is very simple, with a 4 bay nave leading to a chancel of 2 bays, with a north chapel, north aisle, north porch and west tower rising in 3 stages. During renovation work in 1948 an ancient carved stone was found in the south wall, though this seems now to have been lost.

NOTE
St Egwad's church unfortunately had to close in 2005. The building has been declared redundant and is in a poor state of repair. In the meantime services are held in the Victorian church of the Holy Trinity nearby. There are plans afoot to restore and reopen St Egwad's church. This page will be updated as soon as we know more!