Grampian Heritage Guide
Grampian - Prehistoric Sites
This page Rodney's Stone - White Cow Wood Cairn
Rodney's Stone is a beautifully carved Pictish stone of grey sandstone, standing beside the drive to Brodie Castle. The stone, which is almost 6 feet high, was discovered in 1781 by workmen digging the foundations for a new church at Dyke. The situation of the stone suggests that it was associated with the old medieval church there. In the followiing year the inhabitants of Dyke erected the stone in the village to commemorate the naval victory of Admiral Rodney over the French at the Battle of the Saints.
A recumbent stone circle in a farm field, once visited by Dr Johnson. The circle has been moved twice, then re-erected close to its original position. A cremated burial was found within the circle, and several pottery sherds.
Just outside Forres stands this amazing monument, which has been called the most remarkable sculptured monument in Britain. Sueno's Stone stands 20 ft (6.1m) high, and is covered with intricate carvings. The stone dates to the late 9th or 10th century and it may have been intended as a cenotaph, or memorial to military dead.
A large stone circle consisting of 11 standing stones and 1 recumbent stone. The circle is just under 27 metres in diameter,. Within the circle is the remains of a cairn about 0.3 metres high and 7 metres diameter. Interestingly, excavations have shown that there was a pyre (presumably a funeral pyre) in the centre of the circle, and 8 distinct deposits of burnt bones.
The Tap O' Noth is a hill fort on the summit of the Hill of Noth, just above the village of Rhynie, in Aberdeenshire. The hill rises to 562 metres above sea level, making the Tap O' Noth fort the second highest in all of Scotland.
More of a rectangle than a stone circle, Templestone is of a type known as a 'Four poster'. There are four stones, arranged as the corners of a rectangle measuring about 3.4 by 2.7 metres (about 11 x 9 feet).
A fascinating stone circle - really a complex of circles - built around 2500 BCE. The first phase of building at Tomnaverie was the creation of a low platform of stone, with the height of the kerb increasing from one end to the other. It is possible that this platform was created to emphasize the silhouette of the site against the skyline. There was burning at the centre of the platform, so archaeologists think it may have been used as a funeral pyre.
The old ruined kirk at Tullich contains a worn Pictish stone carved with traditional Pictish symbols of a miror, beast, double disc, and Z-rod. The stone can be found in a railed enclosure against the north wall of the church.
The Raven Stone is a carved Pictish symbol stone, discovered in the foundations of the church at Kirkhill, Tyrie. The stone is carved with the figure of an eagle, below which is a rectangle and traditional Z-rod symbol. The rectangle has a notch on the short side and indentations in the long side. It has been suggested that it might represent a chariot drawn by a pair of horses, seen from above.
Remains of a medium-sized cairn in a wooded plantation. The original cairn was just over 14 metres across and about 3 metres high. Many of the cairn stones have been removed, and some are in a heap to the east of the cairn.
Name the Historic attraction
British Heritage Awards
Celebrate the best of British Heritage in our annual
British History Quiz
Known as the mistress of Edward III
When Edward died she stole the rings from his fingers and fled
She was charged with corruption by the Good Parliament of 1376
This Day in British History
20 December, 1192
Richard I captured and imprisoned by Leopold V of Austria
Richard (the Lionheart) and Leopold had become enemies on the 3rd Crusade. Richard was only freed after payment of a heavy ransom.