Self Catering in Cumbria - Glassonby
Areas: Eden Valley, Cumbria
Glassonby Old Hall
Sleeps a maximum of: 8
Pricing From: £656.00
This Grade II listed Cumbrian longhouse was out of domestic use for hundreds of years before its recent 5 Star Gold Award winning restoration. Its history is evident in its thick sandstone walls, ships beams timbers and traditional oak window shutters.
Glassonby Old Hall is a Grade II listed, 5 Star Gold Award winning traditional long house. It is one of three luxury retreats in Glassonby, Cumbria, the other two being Elk Cottage and Jenny's Croft which adjoin Glassonby Old Hall. All three properties date back to the 1600's. The recent renovation brings these Cumbrian retreats back into habitation for the first time since 1764. Glassonby Old Hall retains many of its original features including old ship timber oak beams, oak mullion windows, flagged stone floors, open fires and stone staircases.
Though Old Hall Farm is no longer a working farm, its position on one of the higher hills in the Eden Valley gives it amazing views towards the Pennines and the rolling countryside that has seen this area in Cumbria declared one of the UK's designated Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
Glassonby Old Hall is in an ideal location for an outdoor break in Cumbria, with numerous walks nearby leading to Lacey's Caves along the Eden River, to the Long Meg Stone Circle (the second largest in England) and to the charming nearby Cumbrian village of Melmerby, where the nationally acclaimed organic Village Bakery and the Shepherd's Inn Pub provide good food and local ales.
This holiday cottage at a glance
- Sleeps eight guests.
- Four bedrooms, one en-suite bathroom one shower room and one family bathroom.
- Two wood burning stoves.
- Sandstone terrace leading up to a lawned area.
- Onsite parking.
- Up to two well behaved dogs are welcome (small additional charge per dog), kept to the ground floor and off the furniture please.
- Minimum of a three night stay.
- Oak and sandstone flag flooring with underfloor heating.
- Four oven Aga, electric hob & separate oven, microwave, American fridge freezer, Bosch dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer.
- Large screen LCD TV, DVD player, iPod docking system.
- Catering service available, please contact Lynn Hilditch 07775 733608.
- Heated towel rails in all bathrooms.
- Cots and high chairs available on request.
- Weber barbecue with locally sourced charcoal provided for guests use, sustainable plantation teak garden furniture.
- Sleeps: 8
- Bedrooms: 4
- One Dog
- Some ground floor
- Two Dogs
- Baby Welcome
- Dog Friendly
- Log Burner/Open Fire
- On Site Parking
- Pub Nearby
- Children Welcome
- Welcome Hamper
Get an Ordnance Survey map covering the Glassonby area.
Nearest AttractionsHeritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Little Meg Cairn - 0.9 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Long Meg and Her Daughters - 1.2 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Brougham, St Ninian Ninekirks - 5.7 miles (Historic Church)
The Countess Pillar - 6.5 miles (Historic Building)
Penrith, St Andrew's Church - 6.6 miles (Historic Church)
Brougham Castle - 6.6 miles (Castle)
Penrith Castle - 6.9 miles (Castle)
Acorn Bank - 6.9 miles (Garden)
Brougham Hall - 7.3 miles (Historic Building)
King Arthur's Round Table - 7.4 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Nearest Alternative Cottages
Details of facilities are believed correct at time of publication, but may be subject to change by the cottage proprietor. Up-to-the-minute facility listings will be always presented during the booking process for your approval.