A small village at the foot of the South Downs, in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Perhaps the most famous visitor to Amberley was Charles II, who stayed at the castle here once. The village is built along its original medieval street pattern, with winding lanes now lined primarily with 16th and 17th century houses.
The oldest building in Amberley is the 12th century church of St Michael. There was a church here possibly as early as the 7th century. That Saxon building was replaced by a later, Norman church around the year 1100.

The prize of the church interior is wonderful chancel arch, which dates to the mid 12th century. Of similar date is the font, and the Purbeck marble arches. There is a 14th century brass memorial to John Wantele.

Nearby is Amberley Castle, a country house built by the Bishop of Chichester, which is now a popular country house hotel.