Blackfriars
Blackfriars
The remains of a 13th century friary, on the bank of the River Stour. Blackfriars was founded around 1237 by Dominican monks, whose black surcoat gave them the popular monicker 'Black Friars'.
Henry III granted the Black Friars land on an island in the River Stour. Here they built their new friary. There are only two buildings of the friary remaining; the guest hall, and the former rectory, which is now used by Kings College art centre.

The guest hall is best seen from St Peters Street, but one of the most enjoyable ways to view the Blackfriars rectory is by taking a boat trip along the river. Regular trips leave from the Old Weavers House on St Peters Street during the summer months.