Whalley Abbey Gatehouse
Whalley Abbey Gatehouse
The two-storey gatehouse is all that remains of 13th century Whalley Abbey. The abbey was founded by the Cistercian order in 1296, and grew to become the second most powerful abbey in Lancashire. The north west gateway and associated walls still stand in a lovely setting beside the River Calder.
The gateway was built around 1350, and it seems likely that the first floor chamber oover the gateway arch was used as a chapel. After the abbey was dissolved by Henry VIII in 1537 that chapel area was used as the first home of Whalley Grammar School.

Other parts of the abbey still standing include the abbot's lodging, chapel, north east gateway, the east and south cloister ranges, and the foundations of the nave from the abbey church.