Cowie Chapel, St Mary of the Storms
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
According to legend, Nathalan owned a great treasure. When he died the treasure was wrapped in a bull's hide and buried between the churchyard and the nearby burn. An old rhyme retells the legend: 'Between the kirk and the kirk's ford, There lies Saint Nachlan's hoard'.
The area in question is probably the small churchyard extension. Another version of the story says that Nechtan himself is buried here, though the Aberdeen Breviary says that he was buried near the church he built at Tullich.
In 1276 the chapel (it never became a church) was re-dedicated to St Mary, and served as a daughter church of Fetteresso. Several medieval Scottish monarchs worshipped at Cowie, and it is known that James IV came here on several occasions, and gave generous donations to the chapel.
Though the chapel is now ruinous, there are several interesting features. There high lancet windows still pierce the east wall. The priest's door in the south wall is original to the 13th century chapel, and there is a surving aumbry (storage cupboard) in the northeast corner. Immediately below the west gable is a curious semi-circular mound covered by turf.
This is a partly underground mort-house, built to protect newly deceased corpses from the unwelcome attentions of body-snatchers. Beside the mort-house is a moving memorial to the men of the Stonehaven lifeboat St George, who died while attempting to rescue the crew of the Grace Darling in 1874. Throughout the churchyard are scattered tombs of local sailors, often marked with carvings of ships.
Visiting Cowie Chapel
Cowie chapel can be found immediately below the clubhouse of Cowie golf club (in fact, I found a stray golf ball inside the chapel). A more interesting way to reach the chapel is to park at the free parking area on the northern outskirts of Stonehaven (off the B979) and take the well-worn trail along the cliffs to the chapel; a walk of no more than 10 minutes. Details of this and other walks can be found in a leaflet from the Stonehaven tourist office.
NB. Cowie chapel is also known as The Chapel of Our Lady of The Storms.
About Cowie Chapel, St Mary of the Storms
Address: Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, AB39 3RE
Attraction Type: Historic Church
Location: Immediately downhill of Stonehaven golf course clubhouse. Also accessed via a clifftop trail from Stonehaven.
Photo Credit: David Ross and Britain Express
Opening Details: Open access site, usually accessible at any reasonable time
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Historic Time Periods:
Find other attractions tagged with:
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Dunnottar Church and Marischal Aisle - 1.9 miles (Historic Church)
Dunnottar Castle - 2.1 miles (Castle)
Fetteresso, St Ciaran's Old Church - 2.2 miles (Historic Church)
Kinneff Old Church - 7.9 miles (Historic Church)
Arbuthnott, St Ternan's Church - 9.4 miles (Historic Church)
Drum Castle - 9.8 miles (Historic House)
Nine Stanes Stone Circle - 10.3 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Gourdon Cairn - 11.2 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Nearest Accommodation to Cowie Chapel, St Mary of the Storms:
Nearest Self Catering Cottages
Nearest Bed and Breakfasts