History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
The Cammo Estate has been called Edinburgh's Secret Gem. In 1693 Cammo House was built for John Menzies, and the house is thought to be the inspiration for House of Shaws in Robert Louis Stevenson's 1886 novel Kidnapped.
The surrounding park was laid out in 1710 by Sir John Clerk of Penicuik. Sir John was a polymath, interested in music, poetry, and landscaping. He wanted to create a landscape garden centred on Cammo House, with radiating paths, avenues, and formal gardens. Sir John also planted many of the trees which help give Cammo Park its character. Among the trees planted by Penicuik is the oldest ash in the city of Edinburgh.
In the 19th century, the landscape changed enormously, with a walled kitchen garden, a long ornamental canal, and a ha-ha. It may be hard to imagine it when you stand at Cammo Tower today, but the tower once looked out over a carefully designed landscape suited to a luxurious mansion.
The house was left to the National Trust for Scotland in 1975 but after repeated arson attacks by vandals it was declared unsafe and most of the structure was pulled down. The estate parkland was given to the Edinburgh Council who maintain it as a wilderness park.
Though little remains of the house itself, one reminder of Cammo House still remains; the early 19th-century water tower built to supply fresh water to the house, a quarter mile away. The round tower stands 4 stories high, with a castellated top with high parapets. A string course separates each stage of the tower, and there are 4 blocked entrances at each level. and a ground floor entrance on the south west side.
The tower stands like a solitary sentinel in a field, watching over the ruins of the once-grand house among the trees. It looks like they prototypical folly, but it had a very practical purpose! Curiously, the tower was powered by the wind, like a windmill, using sails to transfer water. It almost certainly was designed as a focal point for vistas from the house and the surrounding gardens.
We do not know exactly when the tower was built; the most likely date is 'early 19th century' which isn't terribly precise. It was probably part of a grand building scheme begun by James Watson, which included a stable block to the north of the tower and a rear wing to the main house.
The tower is usually locked but the estate is a public park, accessed at the end of Cammo Road.
About Cammo Tower
Address: Cammo Road, Turnhouse, Edinburgh, Lothian, Scotland, EH4 8AW
Attraction Type: Historic Building - Tower
Location: On a minor road by the Edinburgh airport, below Corstorphine Hill. From the A90, Queensferry Road, head towards Queensferry, then turn left onto Cammo Road. Turn left at the Cammo Lodge Visitor Centre and follow signs for the car park. Nearest postcode for the visitor centre is EH4 8AW.
Website: Cammo Tower
Phone: 0131 529 2401
Photo Credit: Richard Webb, licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Licence
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Corstorphine Dovecot - 1.8 miles (Historic Building)
Lauriston Castle - 2.1 miles (Historic House)
Eagle Rock, Cramond - 2.1 miles (Roman Site)
Dalmeny House - 2.4 miles (Historic House)
Newliston - 4.1 miles (Historic House)
Royal Botanic Garden - 4.4 miles (Garden)
Georgian House - 4.4 miles (Historic House)
Edinburgh Castle - 4.7 miles (Castle)
Nearest Accommodation to Cammo Tower:
Nearest Self Catering Cottages
Nearest Bed and Breakfasts
Nearest Tourist Information Centre ('as the crow flies')
Airport Tourist Information Centre
Edinburgh International Airport
Tel: 01314 733 690