Kenmore Follies
Kenmore Follies
There are several follies at Kenmore, surrounding the Victorian mansion of 19th century Taymouth Castle. Among these are the Rustic Lodges (1840), the Hermitage (early 19th century), and the Fort (1760 and now let as a holiday cottage). The Hermitage is dilapidated with a grotto/tunnel.
In 1550 Sir Colin Campbell of Glenorchy built a fortified residence known as Balloch Castle at Kenmore, on the upper reaches of the River Tay. In 1806 the 4th Earl of Breadalbane created a completely new neo-Gothic mansion at Kenmore, incorporating medieval glass and Renaissance woodwork and plastering into his luxurious residence. The castle was sold in the early 20th century and was by turns a hotel, a WWII hospital, and a school before falling into disuse.

Within the Taymouth Castle grounds are a range of eccentric Victorian buildings known collectively as the Kenmore Follies. One of the follies is Maxwell's Temple, built in 1831 as a memorial to Mary, Countess of Breadalbane, replacing an 18th century gazebo known as Maxwell's Building. The 'Temple' is modelled after the Eleanor Crosses at Northampton, erected by Edward III as a memorial to his wife.

Scattered throughout the 18th century landscaped grounds are a variety of neo-classical folies including The Fort, The Octagon, the Star Seat, Ladies Mount, and temples to Apollo, Venus, and Aeolus.

Another oddity on the estate is a Chinese Bridge, built in wood in 1754 and rebuilt in cast iron in the early 19th century. The bridge carries a footpath over the River Tay and uses three spans with Tudor arches and Gothic railings, anchored by stone rubble piers and abutments. The bridge now forms part of the Kenmore golf course.

As of this writing the castle is being restored and is not open to the public. The grounds form part of a golf course with public access to the drives. Public footpaths run through parts of the estate.