Warton Old Rectory
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
The Old Rectory stands in the garden of the Victorian vicarage. Historical records show that there was a building here as early as 1304, known as Parsonage Court, and it may be that the first rectory was built in 1298. It was for some time the home of the Thweng family, who held the church living. Local courts were held at the Old Rectory until they were moved to the nearby Shovel Inn.
VisitingI was amazed at the Old Rectory. I had pictured a small building, suitable for a poor medieval church rector. But the rectors of Warton were pretty important officials if we can judge by the size and splendour of the Old Rectory. The building is easily the equal of a small medieval hall, suitable for a wealthy yeoman, a person of standing and substance.
The rectangular building is divided in two sections by a stone screen about 2/3 along. The large chamber served as a great hall, while the smaller section held a buttery and pantry on either side of a central passage leading to the kitchen.
Visible on the north east gable end is a sizeable fireplace, which must have served the rector's private quarters, itself linked to an inner chamber, which is now gone. Outside the building are remains of further foundation walls, suggesting the L-shape of the inner chamber. Near this is a well-preserved section of drains, protected by stone slabs. Entrance to the hall was through 2 doorways in the north end, each of which had a porch.
The sheer scale of the house and the number of chambers tells us that the Rector of Warton was a person of wealth and status, and the Rectory certainly reflects that. It is a wonderful medieval building, and deserves a lot more attention than it gets as a historic attraction.
There is a small parking area up a small lane beside the George Washington inn. From there it is only a hundred yards to the Old Rectory, which is tucked away in a half-hidden clearing beside the 'new' rectory.
About Warton Old Rectory
Address: Main Street, Warton, Lancashire, England, LA5 9PH
Attraction Type: Historic Building
Location: On a minor road off the A6 at Warton. Well-signposted. Free parking signposted nearby.
Website: Warton Old Rectory
English Heritage - see also: English Heritage memberships (official website)
Photo Credit: David Ross and Britain Express
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Historic Time Periods:
Find other attractions tagged with:
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Warton, St Oswald's Church - 0.1 miles (Historic Church)
Leighton Hall - 1.3 miles (Historic House)
Arnside and Silverdale - 4.4 miles (Countryside)
Halton, St Wilfrid's Church - 4.7 miles (Historic Church)
Gresgarth Hall Gardens - 5.8 miles (Garden)
Lancaster Priory - 6.6 miles (Historic Church)
Lancaster Castle - 6.6 miles (Castle)
Wery Wall and Roman Bath House - 6.6 miles (Roman Site)
Nearest Accommodation to Warton Old Rectory:
Nearest Self Catering Cottages
Nearest Bed and Breakfasts