Sufton Court
Sufton Court
An attractive late 18th century neo-classical manor house built by James Wyatt for James Hereford. The Hereford family owned the Mordiford estate since 1140, so the current manor is just the latest in a long line of family homes here. Wyatt was also responsible for the interior decoration, including the lovely Drawing Room. Within the house are displays of fine china and watercolour paintings.
Sufton Court stands in parkland designed by Humphrey Repton, looking out across the park to both the rivers Wye and Lugg. The original designs created by Repton can still be seen in his 'red book' of drawings. The gardens were begun in 1795 and completed a decade later. Near the house is a small walled garden.