Waterworks Museum, Hereford
Waterworks Museum, Hereford
The Waterworks Museum bills iself as a 'Celebration of water engineering', tracing the story of drinking water through time. The museum is housed in a historic Victorian water pumping station which served as Hereford's main water supply station for well over a century. The museum has displays covering the history of drinking water from earliest prehistoric times through to today.
See the largest range of working pump engines in Britain, and the oldest functional triple-expansion steram engine in the country, plus audio-visual displays that help bring the story of water to life. Exhibits include beam engines, steam engines, and gas engines. See horse-drawn water carts, hot air engines, overshot water wheels, Pelton wheels, fire hydrants, water softeners, chlorinator machines, and a huge displays of different types of water pumps. One special exhibit is Tangye House, which was the main pumping station for Leominster. The house, which dates to 1865, was rescued from demolition, disassembled, and

The triple expansion engine is well worth seeing; it stands two stories high, and has a capacity of one million gallons per day. It was used to supply Hereford with fresh drinking water from 1895-1952.rebuilt here on the museum site.