Privett, Holy Trinity Church
Privett, Holy Trinity Church
Naturalist Gilbert White wrote glowingly about the beauty of this rural part of Hampshire centuries ago. White would not have been familiar with Holy Trinity church, which seems to dominate the surrounding landscape.
The church was built in 1876 by Victorian Gothic architect AW Blomfield for Sir William Nicholson, a successful distiller. Blomfield's creation is an impressive building in Early English style, formed of a chancel, nave, transepts, and north and south aisles, with a soaring tower and spire which rises to 180 feet. On the north side of the tower is a carved figure believed to represent the Bishop of Winchester, who consecrated the church in 1878.

The interior is lushly furnished, with the chancel in particular being lavishly decorated. The walls are of warm-toned Ham Hill stone, layered in bands with cream-coloured Bath stone. Marble mosaic floors run throughout the church, and are especially colourful in the chancel. Purbeck marble shafts are used to add still more colour to the chancel.

The altar is set upon a dais reached by seven steps of black Belgian marble. The altar is backed by a quite splendid reredos covering the entire east wall, built partly of Caen stone. The overall effect is one of splendour and rich colour.

The church fell out of use in the 1970s and is now in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.