Aberlour
Aberlour
A small burgh founded by Charles Grant of Wester Elchies in 1812 on the right bank of the River Spey. The name of the burgh is more properly Charlestown of Aberlour, after its founder. Though the town is of fairly modern origin, it stands on an ancient site, where once stood a church dedicated to St Droston. Indeed, the old name of Aberlour parish was Skirdustan, which translates loosely as Drostan's Slice.
Opposite the old kirk is Drostan's well, an ancient holy well surmounted with a stone cross. A mile away, along the Lour, is the waterfall of Linn of Ruthrie. Outside aberlour is Aberlour House, a neo-classical stately home, now an independant school preparing pupils for Gordonstoun School. There are a pair of historic castles nearby; Balvennie Castle is 4 miles away, and the historic house of Ballindalloch Castle is only 6 miles from Aberlour.