Uppingham, St Peter & St Paul's Church
Uppingham, St Peter & St Paul's Church
The parish church of St Peter and St Paul's in Uppingham stands on the south side of the historic market place. It is a mainly 14th century building, though it contains remnants of late Saxon sculpture from an earlier church on this spot. Two Saxon sculptures are set into the east wall of the Lady Chapel and another two are set on either side of the north door.
On the westernmost arch of the south arcade you can see grafitti carved over many years by bored students from nearby Uppingham School. The font is early medieval, and there is a very nice collection of stained glass.

The origins of the church are vague; no church was mentioned in the Domesday Book, but it appears likely that Uppingham was one of three churches attached to the royal manor of nearby Ridlington. The base of the west tower is probably Saxon.

Edward the Confessor desired to give the church at Uppington to his foundation at Westminster Abbey; this was eventually carried out by William II. The church was rebuilt in the 14th century; the chancel arch, south and west walls, and 3 nave columns and arcades date to this rebuilding. The tower was rebuilt in the late 14th century.

Behind the church is a small stone building which served as the original home of Uppingham School, founded in 1597. The current school grounds can be entered through School Lane, off High Street West.