St Palladius's Chapel
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
HERITAGE HIGHLIGHTS: 5th century shrine is among the earliest Christian sites in Scotland
The most intriguing feature in the chapel ruins is not above ground however. Protected by a metal grate are stone steps leading down into the earth to a crypt unse the chapel floor. One plausible theory is that the crypt was where the relics of St Palladius were held, and where pilgrims came to visit his shrine. King Kenneth III was one of those piulgrims; it is said that he was on his way to Fordoun when he died in 994 AD. Archbishop Shevez of St. Andrews came to Fordoun in the early 16th century. He found the shrine ruinous, and gave money to rebuild the chapel. He also gave a new silver reliquary to hold the saint's bones.
In the vestibule of the church is the Fordoun Stone, a beautifully carved Pictish cross slab. This was discovered in 1787 when the pulpit of the chapel was pulled down. The cross may have been hidden here during the Reformation. It shows a marvellously intricate cross and traditional pictish symbols, plus inscriptions in Ogham and a Roman script.
There are several interesting old gravestones near the chapel (some actually leaning agaimst the chapel wall). One stone to William Christison has a rather pointed reminder (literally); a finger points upwards to the heavens above, and a single word is carved - 'Home'.
ABOUT PALLADIUSPalladius was the first Christian missionery in northern Scotland. He was ordained a priest by Pope Celestine in 430 AD, and is thought to have preached in Ireland before arriving in the Mearns area of Scotland. Presumably he found the natives less than receptive, for his martyrdom occurred not long after his arrival.
- Cell founded by St Palladius (5th century)
- Pilgrims visit saint's shrine (c6th century - Reformation)
- Oldest surviving part of the chapel erected (c1244)
- Chapel rebuilt (16th century)
- Chapel rebuilt, new windows inserted (17th century)
- Chapel restored, new roof (1788)
- Roof collapses, chapel abandoned (1828)
The chapel is easily found within the churchyard of Fordoun parish church. Somewhat confusingly, however, the parish church is not located in Fordoun itself, but on the edge of Auchenblae, a few miles away.
Near the churchyard entrance is a smooth granite column erected in memorial to George Wishart, a native of nearby Pittarrow, and one of the earliest Protestant martyrs in Scotland. Wishart was burned as a heretic in 1546 at St Andrews.
The church is generally locked, but the chapel is accessible at any time.
About St Palladius's Chapel
Address: Auchenblae, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, AB30 1WQ
Attraction Type: Historic Church
Location: In the churchyard of Fordoun church, Auchenblae
Photo Credit: David Ross and Britain Express
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Historic Time Periods:
Find other attractions tagged with:
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Fordoun Stone - 0 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Cairn O'Mount - 4.9 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Fasque - 5.1 miles (Historic House)
Arbuthnott, St Ternan's Church - 5.2 miles (Historic Church)
Gourdon Cairn - 7.5 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Nine Stanes Stone Circle - 7.9 miles (Prehistoric Site)
Kinneff Old Church - 8.3 miles (Historic Church)
Fetteresso, St Ciaran's Old Church - 9.1 miles (Historic Church)
Nearest Accommodation to St Palladius's Chapel:
Nearest Self Catering Cottages
Nearest Bed and Breakfasts