History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
Even more dubious is an oft-repeated tale about the columns that appear to support the overhanging first floor of the Guildhall. Tradition suggests that Wren designed the opening beneath the first floor to act as a market area. He supported the overhang with a classical pillars at each corner. The borough councillors were frightened that the overhang might not be adequately supported, and they insisted that Wren insert additional columns under the roof. This he reluctantly did, but to prove a point he intentionally made the columns too short, so that they did not reach the roof at all, and supported nothing. If you look closely you can verify this for yourself; the columns do not reach the roof. A closer inspection reveals that small blocks are wedged between the column tops and the roof, so that the columns only appear to fall short of the roof.
Another oddity about the Guildhall is that it was never actually a meeting place for the town's guilds - that is, associations of local merchants. The guilds met at Trinity House, next to the Guildhall (now the Three Tuns pub). The Guildhall served instead as a town hall; a location for civic ceremonies and a covered market. Throughout the late medieval period there was a market in front of Windsor Castle, where the statue of Queen Victoria now stands. In 1592 the market was moved to a newly built market house north of the Guildhall site. There it stayed until the town council had it torn down in 1687, when they had the Guildhall built. The plan was to create a meeting chamber on the first floor, with space for a covered corn market beneath.
The new Guildhall was begun in September 1687 to a design by Sir Thomas Fitz, or Fiddes, Surveyor of the Cinque Ports. Unfortunately Fiiddes died before the building was complete. Traditional history suggests that it was at this point that Sir Christopher Wren was called in to oversee the completion of the building, though as we've seen, there is some doubt as to whether Wren was involved.
The most obvious embellishments on the Guildhall are a pair of large statues on the north and south faces of the building. On the north is a figure of Queen Anne, given by the Corporation of windsor in 1707, when the Queen was crowned. On the south side is her consort, Prince George of Denmark, given by Sir Christopher Wren's son. Under the statue is a Latin verse which translates as
'To the most serene Prince George, Prince of Denmark
an hero to be revered in every age.
Christopher Wren, Esq. erected this statue, 1713."
About Windsor Guildhall
Address: High Street, Windsor, Berkshire, England, SL4 1LR
Attraction Type: Historic Building
Location: Across from the Tourist Information Centre
Website: Windsor Guildhall
Phone: 01628 683540
Fax: 01628 685 741
OS: SU967 768
Photo Credit: David Ross and Britain Express
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Historic Time Periods:
Find other attractions tagged with:
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Windsor Castle - 0.2 miles (Castle)
St George's Chapel - 0.2 miles (Historic Church)
Eton College - 0.8 miles (Historic Building)
Legoland - 2.1 miles (Family Attraction)
Dorney Court - 2.8 miles (Historic House)
Dorney, St James the Less Church - 2.9 miles (Historic Church)
Savill Garden - 3.8 miles (Garden)
Runnymede - 3.9 miles (Garden)
Nearest Accommodation to Windsor Guildhall: