The name was changed to St. Ives after the body of St. Ivo was found near here in 1001. A local farmer ploughing his fields unearthed a stone coffin, which was identified confidently by church authorities as that of St. Ivo, a native of the town. The priory of St. Ivo was founded hastily on the spot where the saint's body was found and pilgrims flocking to the spot made donations to the priory.
For 5 years between 1631 and 1636 Oliver Cromwell lived in St. Ives, where he attempted to make a go of being a yeoman farmer. A minor inheritance relieved Cromwell of the need to till the soil, and he moved to Ely. Despite this, the town retains a strong identity with Cromwell. A statue of the Lord Protector stands in the Market Place.
The Norris Museum on The Broadway tells the story of the no-longer extant county of Huntingdonshire. See museum details here.
Don't confuse this St. Ives with the larger town of the same name in Cornwall! We do, however, have an article on St. Ives, Cornwall, as well...
Address: St Ives,
Attraction Type: Town
OS: TL311 721
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.Historic Time Periods: Find other attractions tagged with:
Saxon (Time Period) -