Luxurious 'Five Star' accommodation in the heart of the English Lake District. Red Bank is an elegant, traditionally built Lakeland house located in the residential fringes of Ambleside. The centre of the village along with its many restaurants, bars and local amenities is only a 5 minute walk.
The Lake Windermere launch and steamer trips are available at Waterhead which is only half a mile away.
Built approximately 1904 the house was originally called Glenamble and was a large semi detached house with adjoining servants quarters. Our central location makes Red Bank Guest House an ideal base for discovering the Lake District - From here all the grandeur of the Lake District National Park are within easy reach - as are outdoor activities and water sports of every kind. We have 3 tastefully furnished en-suite rooms offering spacious deluxe Bed & Breakfast accommodation with many little extras.
Our 5 Star Visit Britain award together with our Silver Accolade reflect the comfort, quality and service enjoyed by our guests. Feel assured that we will do our very best to make your stay with us as relaxing and comfortable as possible. Although there has been a settlement since pre-Roman times, Ambleside is largely Victorian.
A fort beside Borrans Park - named Galava - was built in Ambleside by the Romans, housing some 500 soldiers. It was built to defend the lower fells of South Lakeland from invasion by the Picts and Scots, and to guard the road to the Roman Port at Ravenglass via Hard Knott Pass. The opening of the Lake Windermere ferry terminal at Waterhead Pier in 1845 created further expansion.
Today ferries can be taken to Bowness and Lakeside. Many well known characters have been connected with Ambleside, including William Wordsworth, Hardwicke Rawnsley, John Ruskin and Beatrix Potter. More about these people can be found in the The Armitt Museum.
William Wordsworth had an office here, in Church St, as a result of his role as Collector of Stamps for Westmorland. He was elected to the post soon after his family moved to their house at Rydal Mount. St Mary's Church, completed in 1854, was designed by Sr George Gilbert Scott in the Early English style.
It is mainly of local 'blue' stone, with a sandstone spire, an unusual feature for a Lakeland church. There is a chapel devoted to the memory of William Wordsworth.
Get an Ordnance Survey map covering the Ambleside area.
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Ambleside Roman Fort - 0.4 miles (Roman Site)
Stagshaw Garden - 0.8 miles (Garden)
Stock Ghyll Force - 1 miles (Countryside)
High Sweden Bridge - 1.7 miles (Countryside)
Rydal Falls - 1.8 miles (Countryside)
Wray Castle - 1.9 miles (Historic House)
Rydal Mount - 1.9 miles (Historic Building)
Loughrigg Fell - 2 miles (Countryside)
Skelwith Force - 2.1 miles (Countryside)
Brockhole Gardens - 2.2 miles (Garden)
Other Nearby Accommodation
+ Heritage Rating + ?
We've 'tagged' this accommodation to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned in the description.