History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
HERITAGE HIGHLIGHTS: Elizabethan cantilevered staircase, medieval mill
At the time of the Domesday survey in 1086 there were two manors at Mapledurham; one owned by the powerful William de Warrenne and the second by Milo Crispin of Wallingford. Warrenne's manor became known as Mapledurham Gurney after Gerard de Gournay, who gained the estate through marriage. In 1270 it pased to the Bardolf family, who bult the superb private aisle in the nearby church. After the Bardolf male line died out the manor was sold in 1490 to Richard Blount of Iver, and it remains in the hands of Blount's direct ancestors today. That's over 5 centuries in the same family!
Later generations of Blount owners struggled with finances, in part because of their adherence to Catholicism, and they were forced to sell off many family treasures, including a large collection of historical armour. In later years however, the house has been restored and now offers a wonderful glimpse into the past.
The exterior is essentally Elizabethan, but the interiors are largely Georgian and Victorian, with a wonderful, curving, Tudor staircase. Look for the carved animal heads; one of which represents a tale from Aesop. One highlight is the family chapel, built after the Catholic Emancipation Act of 1791 made it safe to showcase their Catholic faith. The decoration is in exquisite Gothic style. Another real highlight is the Elizabethan cantilevered staircase, with wonderfully ornate carvings. The stairs seem to float on air, without newel posts to support the heavy oak beams. The stairs lead up to a saloon running the entire length of house, with a ceiling of beautiful strapwork. Everywhere are portraits of Blounts past and present; you really get a strong sense of the long and rich family history at Mapledurham, and that's what makes it such an appealing place to visit.
There is much more to Mapledurham than just the house. A short distance behind the manor, on the banks of the river, is a restored water mill, the only workig mill on the Thames. There has been a mill here since at least the 11th century, but the oldest part of the current mill building dates to the 15th century. The medieval mill was enlarged in the 17th century and again in 1700. The mill featured in a key scene from the 1976 film The Eagle has Landed (see below), and also appeared on the cover of the Black Sabbath self-titled 1970 debut album.
The mill has a separate admission fee from the house (though you can purchase fresh ground flour without paying to see the mill interior!). Inside the rambling old building are workshops and milling machinery, with explanatory signs telling about the milling process and the history of the site. a path leads around the rear of the building to see the working water wheel. In the cafe at the rear of the main house you can buy scones made with flour ground in the mill. The nearby river banks are a very popular spot for picnics on a sunny summer day!
St Margaret's Church
Beside the house but with a separate entrance, is the beautiful medieval parish church of St Margaret of Antioch. Much restored by successive owners of the manor, the church dates to at least the 14th century, though the font is Norman and suggests a much older history of the site. Interior features include the tomb of Sir Richard Blount and his wife Cecily (d.1628 & 1619 respectively) and a memorial brass to Sir Robert Bardolf (d.1395).
The idyllic location of Mapledurham has made it a frequent backdrop for television and films. Episodes of Midsummer Murders have been set here, and, most famously, the Michael Caine film The Eagle has Landed.
Note: Unfortunately, as a lived-in family home, I wasn't alowed to take photos inside the house. Hopefuuly you can still get a sense of this picturesque house and setting from the other exterior photos!
About Mapledurham House
Address: The Estate Office, Mapledurham, Reading, Oxfordshire, England, RG4 7TR
Attraction Type: Historic House
Location: 4 miles northwest of Reading, 1.5 m west of the A4074. Well signed. There is a one-way system via long, winding lanes down to the river. Signeposted (free) parking area.
Website: Mapledurham House
Phone: 0118 972 3350
OS: SU671 767
Photo Credit: David Ross and Britain Express
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Historic Time Periods:
Find other attractions tagged with:
16th century (Time Period) - Civil War (Architecture) - Domesday Book (Historical Reference) - Georgian (Time Period) - Parliamentary (Historical Reference) - Tudor (Time Period) - Victorian (Time Period) -
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Mapledurham, St Margaret's Church - 0.1 miles (Historic Church)
Reading Museum - 3.4 miles (Museum)
Cole Museum of Zoology - 3.5 miles (Museum)
Ure Museum of Greek Archaeology - 3.5 miles (Museum)
Basildon Park - 3.8 miles (Historic House)
Riverside Museum at Blake's Lock - 3.9 miles (Museum)
Lower Basildon, St Bartholomew's Church - 3.9 miles (Historic Church)
Museum of English Rural Life - 4.1 miles (Museum)
Nearest Accommodation to Mapledurham House:
Nearest Self Catering Cottages
Nearest Bed and Breakfasts