Historic Buildings in Oxfordshire
This page Abingdon County Hall - Rycote Chapel
Related: Historic Houses in Oxfordshire (e.g. stately homes and manor houses.)
This lovely 17th century Baroque building is now home to the Abingdon Museum. It was originally built to house the Assizes courtroom. It is raised upon high arches with an open market space beneath.
An lovely 18th century parsonage located beside the River Thames. Buscot Old Parsonage was built in 1703 of local Cotswold stone. The house stands near Buscot Park Estate, in a beautiful rural setting in the upper Thames Valley.
Carfax Tower is the last remnant of the 13th century church of St. Martin's. You can climb an interior stair to the top of the 74 foot high tower for excellent views across central Oxford. On the eastern face of the tower is a clock-face - a copy of the original church clock. On either side of the clock are mechanical figures known as "quarterboys" who sound out the quarter hour by hammering bells.
Faringdon Folly was the last [intentional] folly to be built in England. It stands 100 feet high and dominates the landscape above the historic market town of Faringdon. The folly was built by Lord Berners of Faringdon House in 1935, and offers superb views over 5 counties on a clear day.
A monastic barn dating to the early 14th century. William Morris called Great Coxwell Tithe Barn the finest architecture in England, and when you see the massive roof timbers you will be inclined to agree; this is a Cathedral of tithe barns!
Kelmscott is a beautiful English manor house in an idyllic countryside setting a short stroll from the River Thames. Though it is most famous as the home of Arts and Crafts originator William Morris, Kelmscott has a history that goes back long before the Victorian period.
Minster Lovell Hall is a marvellously atmospheric ruined 15th century manor house on the banks of the River Windrush. The manor at Minster Lovell was once a crown possession, but the Hall was built by the Lovel family, who were granted the estate by Henry I. The manor was briefly held by Edward II's favourite, Hugh le Despenser, but the man most associated with the Hall is Francis, Viscount Lovell. The Viscount died at the Battle Bosworth and the manor was siezed by the crown. It was eventually allowed to decay, and become the wonderfully scenic ruin we can see today.
A small early 17th century building created to house Oxford's first water system. The conduit house was built by Otto (or Otho) Nicholson in 1610. Nicholson's plan was to generate a supply of pure water from the Hinksey hills, and pump it in to the centre of Oxford through a lead pipe.
A pair of former monastic buildings now converted into dwellings. There is limited access as both cottages are rented out by the National Trust. South Cottage contains the former great hall of the original priory on this site.
A 15th century private chapel featuring superbly carved and painted original woodwork. The chapel was built in 1449 by Richard Quatremayne, close aide to Richard, Duke of York, and later, to Edward IV. It was to serve as a private chapel for Ryecote Palace, now sadly destroyed. The chapel features a musician's gallery and a beautifully carved rood screen. The font is 12th century, salvaged from an earlier church on this site.
Name the Historic attraction
British Heritage Awards
Celebrate the best of British Heritage in our annual
British History Quiz
This profligate poet and preacher rose to become dean of St Paul's Cathedral
His poetry ranged from love poems to metaphysical themes
One of his famous poems is 'No man is an island'
This Day in British History
18 May, 1152
Prince Henry, son of Queen Matilda, marries Eleanor of Aquitaine
Eleanor was divorced from Louis VII of France only a few weeks earlier