RHS Garden Harlow Carr
RHS Garden Harlow Carr
A 68-acre garden run by the Royal Horticultural Society, based around a 19th century spa. One of the most popular features is the longest streamside garden in England, a colourful, sinuous garden that winds its way through the property.
Garden History
Harlow Carr is the youngest of 4 gardens operated by the RHS nationally. It was originally the Northern Horticultural Society's display garden and trial ground, but the NHS merged with the RHS in 2001. The history of Harlow Carr goes back much further, however, back to the 18th century, when sulphur springs were discovered here. From 1840 one of the 4 springs was developed to form the basis of a health spa, with a hotel and bathhouse.

The area around the springs was planted as a relaxing garden for people taking the waters, with shaded seats sheltered by tall trees and shrubs, and flower walks. The hotel still operates as the Harrogate arms, and the former bathhouse is now the RHS study centre.

A botanical garden was opened in 1950, with 10 acres of woodland, pasture, and farmland. Since that time the garden has purchased more of the surrounding land and now takes in over 27 acres.

Among the many, many highlights at Harlow Carr are an arboretum, winter garden, scented and foliage gardens, an alpine house for arid plants, ornamental grass borders, a wildflower meadow with a bird hide, a kitchen garden and winter walking trail.

And of course there are roses, mixed borders, and a lovely streamside garden, displays of annual and perennial flowers, a plant centre, shop, and centre for learning about all things horticultural.

Gardens through Time
A highlight at Harlow Carr is a special exhibition celebrating the Royal Horticultural Society's bicentennial. The visitor is led through a 200-year series historical garden styles from Regency to modern.