Canterbury, St Alphege church
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
HERITAGE HIGHLIGHTS: A church established by Lanfranc, already described as ancient in the 12th century!
St Alphege ceased being used as a church in 1982, and for some time served as the home of the Canterbury Environmental Centre. It is now used by King's School, and the interior is not generally open to the public.
Within the church is buried John Caxton, brother of priniting pioneer William Caxton of Tenterden. The font is hexagonal, and dates from the 15th century.
St Alphege was an 11th century Archbishop of Canterbury. When Danes under Earl Thorkell invaded in 1011 they took Alphege captive. The witan (council) agreed to pay the Danes £84,000, a huge sum in those days, to leave. The Danes wanted an extra £3000 to free Alphege, but the Archbishop urged his countrymen to refuse the ransom. The Danes killed Alphege in a rage by throwing beef bones at him. He was eventually buried in Canterbury Cathedral, near the high altar.
About Canterbury, St Alphege church
Address: Palace Street, Canterbury, Kent, England
Attraction Type: Historic Building
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Find other attractions tagged with:
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
8 Palace Street - 0 miles (Historic Building)
Conquest House - 0.1 miles (Historic Building)
Sir John Boys House - 0.1 miles (Historic Building)
Christ Church Gateway - 0.1 miles (Historic Building)
Canterbury, St Peter's church - 0.1 miles (Historic Church)
Eastbridge Hospital of St Thomas - 0.1 miles (Abbey)
Blackfriars - 0.1 miles (Historic Building)
Canterbury Roman Museum - 0.1 miles (Museum)
Nearest Accommodation to Canterbury, St Alphege church:
Nearest Self Catering Cottages
Nearest Bed and Breakfasts