St Mary Magdalene Tower
St Mary Magdalene Tower

The tower is all that remains of the medieval church of St Mary Magdalene. The church was pulled down in 1871 after it had become ruinous. The tower is a 1503 rebuilding of an earlier medieval structure.
In a specially built display area at the base of the tower is a fanciful Baroque memorial to the Whitfield family, dated 1680. This monument is in the Flemish style often associated with Grinling Gibbons and Arnold Quellin. It has been restored with the help of the Victoria and Albert Museum in London.

Beside the tower, in the area formerly occupied by part of the old church, is a pleasant garden area, behind which is the new(ish) Catholic church of St. Thomas of Canterbury.

One of the bells of St Mary Magdalene was transferred to St George the Martyr church, which itself was pulled down after it suffered bomb damage in WWII.