Hergest Croft Gardens
Hergest Croft Gardens
A 70 acre garden in the Welsh Marches, with views west to the Black Mountains. Hergest is a creation of three generations of keen gardeners from the Banks family. Between them, the Banks's have created a pleasing garden featuring over 5,000 rare and unusual trees and shrubs.
The gardens are divided into 6 distinct areas, including an Azalea Garden Maple Grove, KItchen Garden, Hergest Croft Garden, Park, and Park Wood.

A special area of the woodland garden is set aside for Himalayan species. The garden borders are a tribute to the design theoroies of influential gardeners Gertrude Jekyll and William Robinson.

In addition, there is a traditional kitchen garden, a tea shop, gift shop, and tearooms.

The Hergest Estate covers over 1000 acres, at the core of which stands the historic manor house of Hergest Court. The manor dates back to 1267, when it was built by Hwyel ap Meurig. The current house was built in 1895 by Richard Drew. It served for a time as a school, and a repository for the Herefordshite Archives. It has since been converted into flats. An old legend tells that the house is haunted by a spectral black hound, called The Black Dog of Hergest.