Bodenham, St Michael's Church
Bodenham, St Michael's Church
The parish church of St Michael and All Angels at Bodenham is set in a beautiful location beside the peaceful River Lugg. The church is primarily 14th century, in the Decorated Gothic style, with a striking recessed octagonal spire.
The church consists of a chancel, a 3-bay nave with clerestory, south and north aisles, and a solid west tower on a square plan topped by a truncated lantern spire. The nave and tower were built between 1280 and 1400. About 2 centuries later the nave roof was raised and large celerestorey windows inserted, making the interior light and spacious.

Within the church are several intriguing historical monuments and a 13th century panelled font. The ceiling of the chancel is worth note for its beautiful ribbed vaulting. On the north side of the chancel is a tomb niche containing an unidentified medieval effigy of a woman, possibly a member of the Devereux family. The carving detail of her wimple and coif are wonderful, and her hand rests lightly on the shoulder of a child, presumably deceased. Its a very touching portrayal and much more 'personal' than many stylised monuments.

Against the outer wall of the north aisle is a parish chest dated to 1684. Several of the nave pillars bear whitish stains showing the highest point reached by waters of the Lugg in spate! Look for medieval mason's marks on several of the nave pillars.

17th century parish church
17th century parish chest
14th century effigy in the sanctuary
14th century effigy in the sanctuary
14th century font
14th century font
Two-level sedilia
Medieval sedilia, sanctuary
Medieval piscina in the south chapel
Medieval piscina in the
south chapel
Medieval mason's mark
Medieval mason's mark,
south aisle pillar
High water marks on nave pillar
High water mark on a nave pillar