Kingsdown, St Catherine's Church
Kingsdown, St Catherine's Church
A remote Victorian church built in 1866 by Thomas Leigh, 1st Lord Kingsdown. Lord Leigh used architect EW Pugin, a member of the influential Pugin family of architects, to create a small building to replace an existing medieval church.
Kingsdown church is EW Pugin's only complete Anglican church, and is practically unchanged since it opened in 1877. The interiors feature the original, richly coloured stained glass, decoration, furniture, and furnishings, making it a virtual time capsule of Victorian church architecture. St Catherine's is no longer used for regular worship and is in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.