Stretton-en-le-Field, St Michael's Church
Stretton-en-le-Field, St Michael's Church
A 14th century church with 15th century alterations, St Michael's consists of a nave, chancel, north and south aisles, and west tower with a slender spire that can be seen for miles around.
The whole structiure is built of local sandstone, which has a very nice warm tone. The church stands near earthwork remains of a long-abandoned settlement. The interior is a mix of medieval and Georgian styles, with traditional 18th century box pews. The very nice roof is medieval, and features carved roof bosses and grotesque figures.

The chancel arch is worth noting; it is not stone, it is built of wood with stucco over to make it look like stone, and is hollow inside.

Another medieval feature is a nicely carved
alabaster grave slab in the north doorway, commemorating Richard Savage (d. 1489) and his wife Agnes. On the floor nearby is a slab which is possibly that of their son Walter (d. 1518). At the east end is a very worn medieval tomb, perhaps that of the founder of the church.

The slender font is a very nice 17th century example, built around 1660. The floor is made of attractive multi-coloured tiles, which realy add to the atmosphere of the interior. St Michael's is no longer in regular use and is under the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.