Edith Weston
Edith Weston
The pretty village of Edith Weston stands on the south shore of Rutland Water. The unusual name recalls the history of the village, which was given by Edward the Confessor to his queen, Edith. The stump of a medieval cross stands on a small, triangular green in the heart of the village, and a popular pub, the Wheatsheaf, is at the south edge of the village, on Manton Road. At the west edge of the village is the Rutland Water Sailing Club. There is a small village store, and a variety of attractive older cottages, some thatched.
The church of St Mary was built around 1170 and features a lovely 14th century tower and spire. There is evidence of Norman carving around the chancel arch, which was built in 1250. There are memorials to members of the Heathcote family, which were brought here from Normanton church when that church was abandoned to allow the creation of Rutland Water reservoir. The organ is by Samuel Green, and dates to 1787 (restored in 1981).

A short walk along the shore of Rutland Water brings you to the old Normanton church, which is now a museum, while to the west is Lynton nature reserve, a popular bird watching area.