Grindale, St Nicholas' Church
Grindale, St Nicholas' Church
A large country church looking out across farm fields, St Nicholas is almost entirely a product of the Victorian period. One of the sole concessions to earlier history is a much restored Norman tub font, with a larger early font bowl on the floor beside it. The carved bowl supposedly came from the vanished church at Argham.
The pulpit is lovely Victorian work, as is the stone reredos behind the altar. One interesting feature is that the church is oriented the 'wrong way', that is, with the altar towards the west rather than the traditional east.

The first historical record of a church at Grindale comes from the year 1153, when a curate named Serls resigned his Prebendary post for unknown reasons. Most of the early curates of St Nicholas's were supplied by the nearby Priory.

The medieval church ewas almost completely rebuilt in 1874 under the patronage of the Lloyd Greames family of Sewerby.