Cellardyke
Cellardyke
Cellardyke is an ancient fishing port with an interesting history. The original name of the village was Nether Kilrenny, and grew up because the fishermen of Kilrenny kept their fishing gear in cellars by the harbour.
The fishermen built stone dykes around the drying green at the top of the cliffs to protect their equipment from animalsa. This combination of words gave rise to the current name of Cellardyke.

Once a centre of the herring fisheries, Cellardyke is now a popular harbour for pleasure boatimg. The harbour was rebuilt in 1829, and the Town Hall in 1883. Thew 17th century Mercat Cross still stands, hiowever, a reminder of more prosperous days.

At the east end of the harbour is a bathing area known as Cardinal Steps after Cardinal David Beaton of St Andrews, who had a residence at nearby Pitmilly in the 16th century.