Fife Heritage Guide
Fife - Historic Churches
This page Blackfriars Chapel - St Athernase Church
Only a side apse survives of a Dominican friary church, built in the early 16th century. Blackfriars (so named for the black habits wor by the Dominican order) was a large monastery established by Bishop William Wishart (1272-1279).
St Bridget's Church at Dalgety is a ruinous 12th century building on the edge of the cliffs looking over Dalgetty Bay. The church first enters the historical records in 1178 when it is mentioned in a papal bull, so it must have ben in existence for some time before that.
The paltry ruins of the earliest collegiate church in Scotland stand on the cliff top behind St Andrews Cathedral. Otherwise known as the 'Church of the Blessed Mary of the Rock', or simply St Mary on the Rocks, St Mary's was built in the 12th century on the site of a 9th century Culdee Church.
The remains of Scotland's largest cathedral, established in 1160, include 16th century precept walls, 12th and 13th century gables and south wall. St Rule's Tower - in the cathedral grounds - is part of the first Augustinian church. In the grounds is a museum with collection of early Christian and medieval monuments and relics.
The 12th century church of St Athernase at Leuchars has been called perhaps the finest example of Romanesque church architecture in Scotland. The church stands on a mound in the centre of the village, which is best known today for its annual air show and the nearby RAF base.
Name the Historic attraction
British Heritage Awards
Celebrate the best of British Heritage in our annual
British History Quiz
This famous building, on the site of the notorious Newgate Prison, is the site of the Central Criminal Court
The existing street gave its name to the court buildings
The court tries offences committed in the city of London
This Day in British History
22 October, 1877
Blantyre mining disaster
The worst mining accident in Scottish history hit the Blantyre Colliery, killing 207 miners. The company evicted the surviving families from their cottages 6 months later.