North Leigh, St Mary's Church
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
HERITAGE HIGHLIGHTS: 15th century Wilcote Chantry, and Tudor wall painting
The south doorway is Norman, probably 12th century, as are the rounded nave piers. The pointed arches are slightly later, towards the end of the 12th century. The chancel was added a century later and is a good example of the transition from Early English style to the Decorated Gothic fashion. The east window dates to about 1300.
On the south sanctuary wall, near the piscina, is a lovely 17th century memorial to Robert Perrot (d. 1605), showing Perrot kneeling, facing his wife, with their four daughters and four sons arranged beneath them in a neat row.
On the nave side of the chancel arch is one of the great treasures of St Mary's; a marvellous Tudor wall painting depicting a 'Doom' scene, and a Resurrection. This painting is divided into four sections; the two middle sections show the dead rising from their coffins - nicely dressed in Tudor costumes. On their right is the Devil rising from a pit of fire and pointing his finger at a mitred bishop. A statement of Tudor attitudes towards established church authorities? To the left is a figure in red, probably representing St Peter. Compare this painting with a very similarly themed wall painting at South Leigh.
As wonderful as the painting is - and it truly is! - the real joy of North Leigh church is the 15th century chantry chapel, or the Wilcote Chapel, as it is sometimes known. This small chapel off the north aisle is an absolute gem; a marvel of later medieval architecture. The chapel is beautifully decorated with ornate fan vaulting and illuminated by three large Perpendicular windows. The windows contain some very nice original stained glass, but they are just a side-show to the real focus of the chapel, a large altar tomb set beneath a moulded ogee arch. Upon the tomb are two alabaster effigies, a man and woman lying side by side. The woman is Elizabeth Blackett, whose first husband was Sir William Wylcot, Sheriff of Berkshire and Oxfordshire in 1392. Sir William died in 1411 and Lady Blacket was granted a license to build a chantry. Lady Blackett died in 1442.
Look closely at the effigies and you will see that both wear a collar inscribed with repeating double S's. The S.S. was the badge of Henry IV and was used as the insignia of the Lancastrian party in their conflict with the Yorkists that resulted in the Wars of the Roses. While it is not uncommon to see male effigies wearing the S.S. badge, it is very unusual to find the insignia on a female effigy. The details of both effigies are wonderfully carved, despite the inevitable graffiti of centuries, and they show in wonderful detail the type of costume nobilty of the period wore. Look down to the feet of Lady Blackett's effigy and you will see a small alabaster dog playing with her gown - an amusing touch in an otherwise rather stiff and formal sculpture.
Near the Wylcot tomb, just to the left, is a wall monument to William Lenthall (d. 1628) and his wife. As usual, the couple is portrayed kneeling, facing each other, while their 8 children are portrayed beaneath them. One odd touch is immediately obvious; the four boys have been so disfigured as to be almost gone, while the four girls are headless. The most plausible explanation for this disfigurement is that they were vandalised during Cromwell's Commonwealth, perhaps because they were thought to represent religious idolatry.
Another interesting feature of North Leigh church is the north aisle, sometimes called a chapel, though to be particular it cannot be, for there is no altar. This was added by James Perrot in 1690 (though the church information board says 1742) and is so different in character to the rest of the church as to be almost startling. The entire aisle is in lovely Italianate style, with a circular Georgian window at the west end. Undser the aisle, out of sight, is a large burial vault where members of the Perrot and Musgrave families lie buried. The wall of the aisle is filled with brass coffin plates, taken from rotting coffins.
A final feature is the font, at the west end of the church. At first glance this looks like a modern sculpture that has been left unfinished, like the stonemason quit work for the day, intending to come back and complete his work, but never returned. In fact it is a medieval original that was recut, but the design was never finished, so it remains like a blank slate.
North Leigh church is immensely satisfying to visit, a real pleasure, and well wort taking the time to explore thoroughly.
Note: Although there is a small parking area directly in front of the church, when we visited there was a sign saying 'no parking', for no obvious reason, so we parked along the lane. This was not difficult, just a trifle odd! We discovered later that the car park is almost opposite, in the grounds of the Church Hall - (the Turner Hall). Unfortunately this isn't immediately obvious, so keep your eyes peeled!
About North Leigh, St Mary's Church
Address: Church Road, North Leigh, Oxfordshire, England, OX29 6TX
Attraction Type: Historic Church
Location: Off the A4095 and New Yatt Road, 3 miles north east of Witney. Car park in the grounds of Church Hall (the Turner Hall), nearly opposite the church
Website: North Leigh, St Mary's Church
Photo Credit: David Ross and Britain Express
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Historic Time Periods:
Find other attractions tagged with:
12th century (Time Period) - 15th century (Time Period) - 17th century (Time Period) - brass (Historical Reference) - Decorated (Architecture) - Early English (Architecture) - Georgian (Time Period) - Henry IV (Person) - Medieval (Time Period) - Norman (Architecture) - Perpendicular (Architecture) - Saxon (Time Period) - Tudor (Time Period) - wall painting (Historical Reference) - Wars of the Roses (Historical Reference) -
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
North Leigh Roman Villa - 1.4 miles (Roman Site)
Combe Longa, St Laurence Church - 2.3 miles (Historic Church)
Stonesfield, St James the Great Church - 2.3 miles (Historic Church)
South Leigh, St James the Great - 2.8 miles (Historic Church)
Cogges Manor Farm Museum - 2.8 miles (Museum)
Witney, St Mary's Church - 3.2 miles (Historic Church)
Blenheim Palace - 3.8 miles (Historic House)
Bladon Church & Churchill's Grave - 4 miles (Historic Church)
Nearest Accommodation to North Leigh, St Mary's Church:
Nearest Self Catering Cottages
Nearest Bed and Breakfasts