York is well served with a variety of walking tours and guided tour services. Here are some of the more popular walks. (Note: Tour times are believed correct at time of publication, but for goodness sake do check first with the official guide before making plans!)
Association of Voluntary Guides to the City of York
have 110 trained guides who offer two hour free walking tours every day (except Christmas Day). Walks start at 10:15 am and gather at the Art Gallery in Exhibition Square. Additional walks in the summer months start at 14:15 and 18:45. No booking required. Special group tours can be booked.
The Ghost Hunt
- Ghost walks depart every night at 7:30 from The Shambles. No booking required.
Ghost Trail of York
Deangate, York, YO1 2HG
Experience the blood-chilling stories of York's ghostly tradition. Tours leave nightly at 19:30 from the west doors of the Minster. All guides are Equity members or have Honours degrees.
Original Ghost Walk
- Tours depart nightly from the King's Arms Pub - the famous pub that floods - Ouse Bridge 8pm. Pre-booked parties, school groups and conferences at special rates. All guides are City, County (Blue Badge) or Equity qualified.
White Rose York Tour
- a daily free walking tour starting outside the West Entrance of York Minster at 11am, rain or shine. The tour guides mix in-depth historical knowledge with an entertaining story-telling style. The tours are completely free; the guides work for tips only.
The World Tour of York
- The World Tour of York is an entertaining guided walk presenting the story of York and the lifestyles of its people, both in the past and today. Tours operate every Saturday throughout the year (except January) starting each day at 11am and 2pm
- Guided walks begin at the Museum Garden gates off Museum Street. Walks focus on the history of York, with Roman, Viking, and Medieval themed walks, plus guided walks along the city walls. Address: 3 Fairway, Clifton, York, YO3 6QA.