Roman Garden, Chester
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
The "Roman Garden" moniker is something of a misnomer. Certainly there is no indication that a garden existed on this site near Newgate during Roman times. The garden space was, in fact, assembled in 1949 from bits and pieces of Roman artefacts found throughout Chester. The project was initiated as Chester's contribution to the 1951 Festival of Britain.
The gardens contain Roman columns and a "hypocaust" or underfloor heating system. Today it is less a Roman archaeology attraction than a quiet green space in the city centre. It makes a nice stopping off place if you are walking the old city walls of Chester.
The gardens were remodeled in 2000 to provide access to the River Dee. Interpretive panels tell the story of Roman Chester and the garden site.
The last time we visited a 'soldier' clad in the costume of a Roman legionary was entertaining the crowds with stories of Roman life in Chester. This was a big hit with younger visitors, who were offered the chance to try on a Roman soldier's helmet and carry a play sword or spear.
About Roman Garden
Address: Little St John Street, Chester, Cheshire, England
Attraction Type: Garden
Location: just outside the city walls, SE of the city
Phone: 01244 402 397
Fax: 01244 310 071
Photo Credit: David Ross and Britain Express
We've 'tagged' this attraction information to help you find related historic attractions and learn more about major time periods mentioned.
Historic Time Periods:
Find other attractions tagged with:
Roman (Time Period) -
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Chester Cathedral - 0.4 miles (Cathedral)
Eastgate Clock - 0.5 miles (Historic Building)
The Rows - 0.5 miles (Historic Building)
Chester, St John the Baptist Church - 0.5 miles (Historic Church)
Grosvenor Museum - 0.6 miles (Museum)
Chester Roman Amphitheatre - 0.6 miles (Roman Site)
Chester Castle, Agricola Tower - 0.8 miles (Castle)
Hawarden Old Castle - 5.8 miles (Castle)
Nearest Accommodation to Roman Garden: