Great Budworth, St Mary and All Saints Church
History, tourist information, and nearby accommodation
HERITAGE HIGHLIGHTS: 13th century bench ends
The oldest part of the current church is the Lady Chapel, which dates to the 14th century. Most of the rest of the building is 15th and 16th century, including the tower, built between 1500-1520 by Thomas Hunter. The tower bears the arms of Runcorn priory, as well as the local Dutton and Warburton families.
The last major transformation of St Mary and All Saints came in the 19th century, when Rowland Warburton of Arley Hall restored the church and returned it to something approaching its original medieval state.
One of the most appealing features of the church is the nave arcade, where you can see amusing faces carved into the pillar capitals. And if look up you will see an extremely attractive 16th century roof, supported on oak beams which rest on stone corbels carved in peculiar and grotesque faces.
This beautifully furnished and decorated transept houses several 13th century oak stalls, among the oldest in Cheshire. These bear their original misericords, though unlike most medieval seats these have not been embellished with carvings but left plain.
The oldest part of the church, built in the 14th century. Under the chapel floor are burial vaults for the lords of Tabley House and Marbury Hall. The screen separating the chapel from the nave was designed by Anthony Salvin, one of the leading 19th century church architects. In the chapel is a memorial to Sir Peter Leicester (or Leycester), 1614-1678, a leading 17th century historian and antiquarian. In the medieval period the chapel housed a statue of the Virgin Mary. Sixteenth century records reveal that it was destroyed 'by command of Queen Elizabeth'.
Outside in the churchyard is a small early 17th century building that was used as a schoolhouse until 1857.
Do take a few minutes to enjoy the area around the churchyard, which is surrounded by pretty period cottages, with a cobbled lane running past their doors. Its an extremely attractive setting for a beautiful church.
About Great Budworth
Address: Church Street, Great Budworth, Cheshire, England, CW9 6HH
Attraction Type: Historic Church
Website: Great Budworth
Photo Credit: David Ross and Britain Express
NEARBY HISTORIC ATTRACTIONS
Heritage Rated from 1- 5 (low-exceptional) on historic interest
Arley Hall - 2.2 miles (Historic House)
Tabley House - 3.8 miles (Historic House)
Lower Peover, St Oswald's Church - 5.3 miles (Historic Church)
Tatton Park - 5.5 miles (Historic House)
Over Peover, St Lawrence Church - 7.1 miles (Historic Church)
Peover Hall - 7.2 miles (Historic House)
Dunham Massey - 7.5 miles (Historic House)
Warburton, St Werburgh's Church - 7.8 miles (Historic Church)
Nearest Accommodation to Great Budworth: