Historic Churches in Cornwall
This page Sancreed, St Creden Church - Zennor, St Senara's Church
The small hamlet of Sancreed boasts a parish church mainly from the 13th-15th centuries, with a Norman font and a carved medieval chancel screen. In the churchyard are a pair of Celtic crosses, at least 10th century in date if not earlier.
A 12th century cruciform church established by the Augustinian Priory of Plympton. The church was extensively restored in the Victorian period, but retained so much of its original character that Sir Nickolaus Pevnser called it the best example in Cornwall of a parish church from the 12th and 13th centuries.
Now here's a church with a history! The parish church of St Germans is dedicated to St Germanus of Auxerre (380-448 AD), and the first church on the site is thought to have been founded following a visit by St Germanus here around the year 430 AD. The saint also founded a religious settlement that eventually became an Augustinian priory.
St Just in Penwith
A large granite church in Perpendicular style. There are Celtic crosses outside the church, and a wealth of historic features inside. A large 6th century slab is carved in memory of Selus, brother of St Just. There are 15th century wall paintings and a 9th century cross shaft is embedded in the wall.
St Just in Roseland
A very tidy little country church on the banks of a creek, made remarkable by its beautiful setting. The slope of the land means that you can stand at the lych gate entrance to the churchyard, and find yourself at a level with the top of the church tower, while the body of the church stretches out far below you.
St Mawgan in Pydar
The church of St Mawgan stands in the wooded countryside setting of the Vale of Lanherne, north of Newquay. The church dates mainly from the 13th century, and was endowed by the Arundell family of Lanherne manor, who lived here for 500 years from the 13th to the 18th century.
There are two stories about the founding of St Neot's church, and, indeed, about the saint himself. Or, perhaps I should say, saints in the plural, for it seems there may be some confusion over which St Neot the church is dedicated to. To get to the bottom of the story, let's go back in time, back to the late 5th or early 6th century.
A 12th century church substantially rebuilt in the 15th century, St Winnow's may stand on the site of a Celtic monastery. The only part of the 12th century building to remain is part of the north wall.
The small church of Towednack serves a hamlet between St Ives and Penzance. Beside the south porch are 2 weathered Celtic crosses, and inside are a pair of beautifully carved early 17th century bench ends mounted on the north wall. the medieval font is also wonderfully carved, with faces at the corners and traces of original paint still showing.
A 12th century church on the site of a 6th century cell founded by St Senara. Famous for a 15th century bench end carved with the likeness of a mermaid carrying a comb and mirror. There are 3 Celtic crosses in the churchyard and a memorial to John Davy, the last person to speak the Cornish language.
QUICK FIND Alt - RamSan - Zen
Name the Historic attraction
British Heritage Awards
Celebrate the best of British Heritage in our annual
British History Quiz
This fourth son of Edward III was virtual ruler of England from 1371-1399
He was born at Ghent, and inheirited the dukedom of Lancaster
Henry VII claimed legitimacy by descent from his eldest son, John
This Day in British History
21 September, 1745
Battle of Prestonpans
Bonnie Prince Charlie's Jacobites rout English dragoons led by General Cope